There it is, that pesky wrinkle on your face. But wait, you haven’t even hit the big three-oh yet so what gives? The fact is that skin aging can set in much earlier than you expect it to – and that’s not the only surprising thing about skin aging. Here are 10 facts about skin aging that may not have crossed your mind.
- Wrinkles can show as early as at the age of 25.
The causes are manifold, but it’s never too late to take preventive measures to keep more from appearing!
- People who use sunscreen daily show 24% less skin aging than those who do not.
Sunscreen blocks out harmful UV rays and prevents the formation of sun spots and free radical damage to the skin so slap on some sunscreen (SPF 30 is adequate) before you head out the door next time.
- Fun fact: age spots are more accurately sun spots.
The formation of these spots have more to do with you spending time in the sun than simply the ravages of time.
- Sleeping on one side can cause fine sleep lines to develop on your face.
Over time these sleep lines will not fade away when you get on with your day. Try sleeping on your back instead to prevent them from forming in the first place.
- Repeated facial movements can cause fine lines and wrinkles.
No, that shouldn’t stop you from smiling but be more mindful when you frown or wrinkle your brows next time. The same idea applies with drinking through a straw, which forms fine lines around your lips.
- The pull of gravity is a cause of skin sagging.
Sometimes you do everything you can to stop your skin from aging but Mother Nature has other plans.
- Keeping your weight in check will keep your skin in check too.
If you are prone to yo-yo dieting and fluctuating weight gain, you might find that your skin tends to sag more. This is because the insulin level in your body rises in accordance to your weight gain, which then breaks down the collagen that keeps our skin firm and smooth.
- People with oily skin show signs of aging slower.
When you’re angrily blotting your face with the oil tissue, just remember this and love your skin a little more.
- Dull complexion can be caused by poor blood circulation.
When your blood circulation is poor, cell production is not at its optimum. This can impact your body’s healing abilities as well. Go for regular health check-ups for better health and skin!
- The ‘glue’ that holds your cells together decreases with age.
Collagen is not the only important thing for a youthful appearance. As you age, ceramides, the molecules that hold your skin cells together decrease. It is important to replenish them through capsules or products that contain them to maintain a youthful appearance and keep your skin healthy.