Sensitive skin can be a troublesome condition, causing discomfort and visible symptoms such as itching, dryness, and redness. Studies suggest that up to 50% of the population has sensitive skin, with women more affected than men. Those with inflammatory skin conditions, such as eczema, acne, or rosacea, are more prone to sensitive skin.
Fortunately, there are skincare for sensitive skin, whether it is a temporary condition like sunburn or a chronic issue. In this article, we'll explore the best ingredients for sensitive skin, as well as those that can trigger adverse reactions to avoid.
What causes sensitive Skin?
Sensitive skin can arise from various factors, including genetic predisposition, environmental exposure, and skin disorders. Here are some common causes of sensitive skin:
- Genetics: Some individuals are born with more delicate skin due to genetic factors like a thinner skin barrier or a predisposition to skin conditions such as eczema or rosacea.
- Environmental factors: Exposure to environmental factors, such as sun, wind, heat, or cold, can trigger sensitivity in the skin. Moreover, harsh chemicals, pollutants, and other irritants can also lead to sensitive skin.
- Skin disorders: Skin conditions like eczema, rosacea, psoriasis, and acne can result in sensitivity in the skin. These conditions can damage the skin barrier, making it more susceptible to irritation and inflammation.
- Age: As we age, our skin becomes thinner and loses elasticity, making it more vulnerable to irritation and sensitivity.
- Hormones: Hormonal changes, particularly in women during pregnancy or menopause, can contribute to sensitive skin.
- Diet: Certain foods and drinks, including spicy foods, alcohol, and caffeine, can trigger sensitivity in some people.
- Stress: Stress can cause inflammation in the body, including the skin, leading to sensitivity and irritation.
Which Skincare Ingredients help soothe skin sensitivity and inflammation
With natural anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties, Honey can soothe and calm irritated skin while preventing breakouts. It effectively reduces redness and swelling, making it an excellent ingredient for those with sensitive skin.
Known for its cooling effect on the skin, Mint can help to soothe and calm sensitive skin. This makes it especially beneficial for those with skin conditions like rosacea or eczema, which can cause itching and discomfort.
By promoting a healthy balance of bacteria on the skin, Prebiotics can help to prevent breakouts. This is particularly useful for those with sensitive, acne-prone skin.
With natural anti-inflammatory properties, Honeysuckle flower can reduce redness, swelling, and irritation in the skin. It is particularly helpful for those with sensitive skin that is prone to inflammation.
Mountain pepper can improve skin texture and hydration levels, conditioning the skin effectively. This can be particularly helpful for those with dry, sensitive skin.
Known for its natural anti-inflammatory properties, which can reduce redness, swelling, and irritation in the skin. It is particularly helpful for those with sensitive skin that is prone to inflammation.
How to choose the right skincare regime for sensitive skin
Finding the perfect skincare routine for sensitive skin may be a daunting task, but it is essential to be patient and take the time to discover products that work well for your skin type. To care for your sensitive skin, seek out gentle skincare products like the Botanical Soothing Gel, which includes seven active botanical extracts and prebiotics to boost skin immunity. This moisturiser provides instant relief and hydration to soothe irritated skin while restoring its natural barrier to strengthen its immunity and defense.
Additionally, our Botanical Sensitive Care Toner is a quick and easy-to-use spray-on formula that incorporates a blend of seven botanical herbs and antioxidants to create a protective barrier within three seconds of application to soothe sensitive skin.